Dialogues: A Collection of Creative Conversations is my 2018 challenge. I am writing one short story in dialogue every week this year. I’ll be posting about each piece here on the website plus creating a Medium.com series that will have a few extra goodies about the dialogues. Once the collection is complete, I’ll seek a publisher. Some of these pieces are also appearing in zines, reviews, journals, magazines, and anthologies. A list and any available links can be found further on down the page.
Dialogues: A Collection of Creative Conversations. A standoff with Bigfoot, an epidemic of serial killers, crossing a busy and blood-spattered road, men leaving their wives for artificial intelligence dating apps—these are just a few of the dialogical short stories you’ll find in this new collection by Randal Eldon Greene. Dialogues isn’t complete as it’s currently being written. Stories from the collection have appeared or are forthcoming in Lit Up, The Creative Cafe, Train Lit Magazine, The Green Light Literary Journal, Iowa’s Emerging Writers anthology, and the Flash Fiction Addiction anthology.
These dialogue-style conversations are equally influenced by the short fiction of Donald Barthelme and Plato’s dialogical explorations of ideas presented through the mouthpiece of Socrates. But, despite the influence of these two philosophical giants, don’t expect any direct philosophy or even erudite characters to be the norm. These are conversations. They’re rough and tumble, written without an end in mind, flowing where they will, landing wherever the dialogue wishes to land. Nevertheless, I think you’ll find they are still doing the important work of exploring ideas like Plato did (through dialogue) and as Barthelme did (through experimental stories).
This weekly writing challenge will continue through 2018. Book publication will be sought sometime after all the dialogues are completed at the end of the year.
Below you’ll find the titles of the stories from the writing challenge. The dates listed correspond to the date the story was was announced as completed, not the date the story may have appeared in any publication.
- Expire: January 10
- The Defining Attribute of a Girl: January 17
- Everything in Its Right Place: January 25
- To Get to the Other Side: February 02
- 88 “Spice Up Your Date” Shimmer Palette: February 06
- Colonizer: February 16
- Standoff with Bigfoot Deep in the Remote Woods: February 22
- Baby Who: March 03
- A Lover’s Dwelling: March 10
- Hiss, Squawk, Bellow, Mutter: March 17
- Therapy: March 24
- Life Cycle: March 31
- Rolling Stop: April 7
- Tarnished Time: April 14
- Jonathan Knudsen: April 21
- Two Conversations with Voices: April 28
- Medea Naked on the Golden Fleece: April 30
- Directionless: May 09
- DigiSpouse.com Testimonial: May 19
- Viagra for a Pariah: May 26
- Insults Two by Two: June 02
- Wine Drunk Together Again: June 9
- The Bat-Cat God and Other Self-Reproachments: June 16
- Vorchaoskampf: June 23
- Cut: June 30
- LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE: July 7
- Maskenfreitheit: July 14
- Digesting That Disillusionment: July 21
- About the author:July 28
- The Nihilist and the Strangler: August 04
- The Ghost of Yesteryear: August 11
- What’s the Point of What Hayden Saw?: August 18
- The Carnivore and the Vegan Sit Down to Dinner: August 24
- Weaves of Web and Cloth: September 01
- Chip You Away: September 08
- Pocket Chicken: September 15
- Scentless Dreams: September 22
- @ChefNipsNips: September 29
- Things I Thought My Mother Said: October 06
- The River Flows in One Direction: October 13
- Illegal Turn: October 20
- Demon Zone: October 27
- The Melania Dialogues: November 03
Below you’ll find a list of published dialogues. Links are provided if available.
- A Lover’s Dwelling: Flash Fiction Addiction : anthology – Zombie Pirate Publishing ; (TBA). forthcoming
- Everything in Its Right Place : Iowa’s Emerging Writers : anthology – Z Publishing ; September 09 (2018). Order the anthology.
- Viagra for a Pariah: The Greene Light ; issue #3, August 15 (2018). Read online.
- Jonathan Knudsen: Train Lit Mag ; July 05 (2018).
- DigiSpouse.com Testimonial: Medium.com ; May 19 (2018). Read online.
- Medea Naked on the Golden Fleece: Lit Up ; April 30 (2018). Read online.
- Tarnished Time: The Creative Cafe ; April 17 (2018). Read online.
- 88 “Spice Up Your Date” Shimmer Palette: Medium.com ; February 06 (2018). Read online.
I created a series on Medium.com to accompany the dialogue challenge. You can find the series by clicking the image below. It’s a bit beta, so most of the posts in the series are mirrored here on the blog.